Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sibelius Drum Engraving Tips

I like to think that I'm pretty savvy with Sibelius, but as I was sitting here working on my next post I ran into a little trouble.  Rather than using Sibelius' Help Menu (because that would make sense), I Googled it, and found my answer in this little gem.

Seems this Katie Wardrobe from Midnight Music in Australia has sifted out all of the drum notation information from Sibelius, which can often be difficult to find in that sea of a help menu, and put it all into one convenient PDF for us!  Not only that, but Ms. Wardrobe (which sounds way cooler than Katie) has thrown in some tips for using tools that may not have necessarily been designed for drum and percussion engraving, but could be just what you are looking for.

And for my fellow Americans:

Semibreve = Whole Note
Minim = Half Note
Crotchet = Quarter Note
Quaver = Eighth Note
Semiquaver = Sixteenth Note
Demisemiquaver = Thirty-Second Note

Apparently there's also these:

Breve = Double Whole Note
Quadruple Whole Note = Longa (like anyone uses those)
Octuple Whole Note (That's a thing?) = Maxima

Hemidemisemiquaver (WHAT?!) = Sixty-Fourth Note
Semihemidemisemiquaver (Now I just want to see how long this is gonna' go on = Hundred Twenty-Eighth Note
Demisemihemidemisemiquaver (I think this is the last one) = Two Hundred Fifty-Sixth Note

No comments:

Post a Comment