Friday, February 20, 2015

A few pictures from the studio

Wow, this year is going by quick already.  I've been really busy with lots of playing and teaching which is great for the hands and the bank account, but not so great for the blog.

A couple of weeks ago I was in New Jersey, just across the Hudson from NYC to record a new organ trio record with Pat Bianchi and Dan Wilson.  I'm currently in the process of mixing it down and working on some cover art.  With any luck at all it will be available come spring time.  I'll keep you posted.  In the meantime, here are a few pictures from the session.



On the right is my new 22' K Constantinople Medium Thin Low, which, when recording a bit at home on a little digital recorder, I was starting to have my doubts about.  But the with real mics in a good room it sounded phenomenal.  I really wanted some sizzle on it, but just didn't have the heart to drill into it, so I put a chain on it.  In the past I've tried one of those Sabian chains, but the links are just too big and have a clunky sound rather than a gentle hiss.  So, I went to my local hardware store, and bought a pull chain for a ceiling fan.  Perfect!

On the left is a 20' K Left Side Ride that I picked up on ebay a few years ago and just never had the chance to take into the studio.  It, too, did not disappoint.

The rest of the cymbal setup includes 14' Istanbul Agop Sultan hats and a 20' Sabian Jack DeJohnette flat ride from before it was called the "Encore" series.





No comments:

Post a Comment